First Baptist Church of Hingham Mission Statement
- At First Baptist Church of Hingham, we seek to imitate Jesus Christ and carry out God's expectations to love Him and to love our neighbor.
- We continually work to deepen our understanding of what it means to be a follower of Christ through study and discussion of the Bible.
- Our church welcomes all who come through the doors, wherever they are on their faith journey, accepting that each person’s relationship with God is unique.
- We strive to create within our church a cohesive family that cares for each other, the communities we live in, and the wider world.
What do we believe as American Baptists?
- We believe that salvation, offered to the world, has been given as a gift of God's grace through the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We believe in soul freedom, which means we are all called to continuous study of the Bible, and members of our church are free to interpret in good faith the Bible's teaching in line with their conscience and understanding.
- This freedom leads to a diversity of practice within the church but we are all grounded in the belief of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.
How are we governed?
- The church governs itself.
- The ministry and policy of the church is decided by the membership through church meetings.
- The church membership elects the Council to administer the policy as voted upon by the church.
- We do belong to regional and national Baptist associations, and collaborate with them in missions and relief efforts, but these associations do not wield any authority over the church itself as an autonomous and independent body.